Timed Testing Pro/Con

Here at Pres we decided to debate whether or not time limits on tests are useful. It’s an integral part in many of our classes but a topic that is never necessarily discussed. There are both good and bad sides to timed testing, and in the end it just depends on what works best for you. 

It’s About Time

By Erika Ackley

We’ve all been there before. You walk into a test with sweaty palms and a stomach twisted in knots. Your constant glances at the clock reveal your dwindling time. You’re trying your best to keep your nerves under control but the dread of not finishing in time looms over you and it becomes increasingly harder to focus on the task at hand: the test. You know that if you just had more time, you could finish.

The main issue here isn’t the test itself or how well you know the information (okay, maybe) but the fact that there’s a time limit. And with that time limit comes the impending what if you don’t finish in time?

Time limits on tests have morphed into this overbearing pressure that weighs heavily on students. And when the stress invades your mind, you struggle to focus and the rest of the test only goes downhill from there.

The problem isn’t whether or not a student needs to apply for legal accommodations. This is about the fact that time limits with testing can create a mental block of anxiety and fear inside of anyone, which adds additional struggle when taking a test.  

Sometimes it’s just knowing that there is ample time, rather than having to rush, that eases the process immensely.

When taking a test, the brain draws from working memory. Working memory is defined as a type of short-term memory that has to do with immediate conscious perceptual and linguistic processing. Long definition short, it’s where all of our information is when we’re taking a test.

According to an article published by Mathnasium, the anxiety surrounding time limits can in fact impair the working memory in your brain. “When people are stressed, the pressure blocks their working memory and facts with which people are familiar cannot be recalled.”

So essentially, that clock ticking away while you’re taking your test is only making it harder for you to concentrate and remember all the necessary information.

You’re probably thinking that for most tests, you have the entire period, and more often than not, you finish well before the bell rings and won’t have to worry about the time.  

And yes, that is the case most of the time. Obviously tests can vary in structures from class to class and teacher to teacher, and sometimes it can take the entire period. For a test that you shouldn’t be spending the whole period on, a time limit can come in handy.

Teachers have lesson plans to follow and there is only a certain amount of class periods in a given semester. So it’s only natural that some quizzes and tests are designed to be finished in a certain amount of time so that class time can be properly maximized.

But what about those tests in which you know that you need to be allowed more time on? The tests where the teacher calls time and more than half the class is still frantically working away?

In these cases, the effects of time limits are taxing, especially when a teacher begins to take off points when the test is turned in after time is called.

And for those students who are consistently finishing after the majority of the class, it might be time to look into the what might be causing this delay. You may need extra time on tests, and obtaining legal accommodations is perfectly okay.

All in all, a time limit might seem as a bit of a necessary evil when it comes to needing things to be finished in time. But given the effects that a ticking clock has on your memory and concentration, it may be just plain evil.