Basketball Team’s Success

Presentation High School's Varsity basketball team attribute their success to their dedication and hard work.

Ankita Bhanot, Managing Editor

The varsity basketball season came to a close last month after they competed in the CCS championship game, losing to St. Francis with a score of 46-58. Despite the loss, the team was named one of the top four in NorCal, not to mention top eight in the state in their division.

Aside from their many accolades, coach Wade Nakamura said that the biggest accomplishment of the ten talented players was coming together as a team and working as a unit. For almost the past four months, the team practiced six days a week for two hours per day, focusing on the fundamentals, strategizing against their opponents and planning and executing game plans. But practice was only part of their preparation. For the team, it was important that they get along and work together.

“A lot can be said about how well our team got along and the fun they had every day together. Team chemistry goes a long way in the win loss column,” Nakamura said. This chemistry clearly translated on the courts, when Presentation beat Los Gatos in the CCS semi-finals, as well as defeated Carondelet, the second best team in Northern California, among other successes.

Motivation and encouragement were vital to the team. Team captain Maddie Guidoux, senior,  said, “I try to motivate my team by trying to be a good role model throughout the season and always trying to keep a positive attitude towards each practice and game.”

Off the court, the team had its own unique traditions and rituals they practiced. Co-captain and fellow senior Maeve Kavanagh would sport a tie-dye shirt on every game day, and the team would try to wear blue socks to every game and listen to music in the locker room before they began to play. “It sounds cheesy, but the best part was that everyone got along,” Kavanagh said.

“The biggest reward is seeing where we started and the improvements we made throughout the season to the last game, and seeing players gain an understanding and appreciation for what we teach every day in practice,” Nakamura said. “In the end it all equated to a great 2014-15 basketball season.”