CoverGirl’s Coverboy

CoverGirl’s Coverboy

Sarah Vincent, Reporter

Over the past few years, the emergence of males using makeup has been seen on various platforms including Instagram and Youtube. Manny Mua, Bretman Rock (known as Bretman Rock Swag by his 6.5 million Instagram followers) and Jeffree Star are three men who have all gained a large audience using social media and their beauty skills.

One such male who receives these doubts yet slays the beauty industry regardless is James Charles Dickinson, known as James Charles on his increasingly popular social media platforms.

Charles, having amassed over 700,000 Instagram followers, is taking social media by storm and will continue to do so as one of the new faces of CoverGirl.

Some women may believe that as men become more interested in the beauty industry that has been dominated by female consumerism, females lose one of the only areas where they feel empowered.

However, couldn’t the same argument then be used to stereotype women who are interested in topics like cars? Women do not want to be told that their interests in a certain topic are wrong, so nobody should perpetuate the stereotype that beauty is only for women.

Charles said in an interview with the New York Times, “The fact that I am the first boy is so cool. It shows that this industry is actually becoming genderless, and we’re really making the push toward equal opportunities for everybody, regardless of race, sexuality, gender.”

In modelling for the popular company and expanding his audience, Charles is able to share his message that characteristics like gender or sexuality should never interfere with the ability for people to pursue their interests.

Stereotypes aside, children and teenagers are encouraged by the possibility of achieving their goals as Charles continues to do. Up to this point, all of CoverGirl’s faces have been celebrities, but Charles is someone who we may call an “ordinary boy,” as he comes from a small town in the north of New York and self-funds all of his work.

Charles demonstrates that given passion, commitment, and a few materials (makeup and social media in this case), people are able to have an impact. Pressure among students is higher than ever, so reassurance that artistic talents are not overlooked is critically beneficial to students.

Along with his position as a spokesmodel for CoverGirl, Charles has an even larger platform to inspire people. He speaks in interviews about the struggles of growing up feeling like an outcast due to his sexual orientation, and how he has overcome these struggles to become the confident person he is today.

While Charles touches many by spreading his message of equality and the importance of doing what one loves, there has been backlash since the October 11 announcement of his position as a new spokesperson for CoverGirl. On Charles’ Instagram page it is far too common to see comments saying,, “It is CoverGIRL not CoverBoy,” or “makeup isn’t for guys it never will be.”

Dealing with the hate does not seem to be an issue for Charles. He said in an interview,  “So even though I get hate comments every once in awhile, it doesn’t affect me, because I have so many more people who are supporting me and loving me for who I am.”

This support is evident on his various social media platforms, where the majority of the comments give nothing but love and words of encouragement to Charles.

Charles, as the new spokesmodel of CoverGirl, shows how the world is widening its perception of the beauty industry. Not in spite of, but because Charles is a male, he inspires people to pursue their passions and ignore any negativity they receive, all while removing stereotypes. Of all the things to complain about, a male spokesperson for CoverGirl should not be one that people are concerned.