The Dishonest “Side Door”

A Perspective on The College Admissions Scandal

The Dishonest “Side Door”

Presentation's college counselors also recognized larger systematic problems inherent in the college process, citing societal obsession over highly-selective schools and unethical marketing strategies of test preparation industries that “feast” off of students’ fear about not being accepted.

Angie Leung

Angie Leung

Angie Leung

Angie Leung, Reporter

Behind the overly-admired wealthy class’ extravagant parties and red carpet smiles, lie dark collusive practices causing their downfall…Haven’t they learned from Gatsby? Perhaps not, considering they were willing to bribe their way through school and forewent studying the classic demise of a fraudulent character.

The true casualties of this sensationalizing scandal are not the ignorant children of the celebrities who tarnished their reputations, but rather the innocent students with much more qualified resumés who abided by moral conduct in the college admissions process, despite its apparent flaws.

William Singer, the founder of the college preparatory business Edge College & Career Network that manipulated his clients’ college entrance exam scores, ordered his company’s proctors to either take the test in place of the student or rectify their answers afterwards in a way that would avoid suspicion, according to a Los Angeles Times article. During his testimony in a federal court in Boston, Singer referred to his conspiracy as a “side door” to the college admissions process.

However, this “side door” welcomed pecuniary corruption, unethical dishonesty, and dark collusion among the upper echelons of the wealthy class―or “a catalogue of wealth and privilege” as one Massachusetts attorney asserted–and further disadvantaged the real “underprivileged” students who depended on the tests to equalize their chances alongside their more well-off counterparts.

Given that flaws existed in this process, affluent parents maliciously maintained the status quo by reaping the benefits of monetary privilege and upholding its corrupted structure. Instead of engaging in a collective effort to resolve existing problems, wealthy parents formed a racketeering cabal to boost their own students’ ranks, while further disadvantaging the victims.

In a discussion last Friday with the College Counseling Department in the wake of the scandal, Department Chair Anya Ishida reminded that Presentation’s college counseling work, dedicated to students, is rooted in a code of ethics. In addition, Lindsay Fitzpatrick noted that many universities have positively responded to the incident by delaying acceptance decisions in order to amend administration policy or make college entrance exams optional in an effort to evaluate applicants more fairly.

The college counselors also recognized larger systematic problems inherent in the college process, citing societal obsession over highly-selective schools and unethical marketing strategies of test preparation industries that “feast” off of students’ fear about not being accepted.

The College Counseling Department strongly advises students to think deeply about their choice of college, especially the value of its education while keeping their goals in mind. Affirming that they aim to alleviate students’ anxiety about college, the college counselors encourage students and families who are struggling or have questions of the legitimacy of private college tutoring to seek their help.