Summer at Pres

Mia Hernandez, Reporter

Summer school isn’t just for making up classes that you didn’t do so fabulous in or taking care of driver’s ed. Pres Summer School is full of fun classes for every grade level and student. Looking for something cool to do this summer? Try something new or pick up a new skill through Pres Summer Courses. Here’s a quick look at some of the coolest classes that we offer.

1. 3D design and printing: Ever wanted to learn how to use a 3D printer? This is the class for you! This week long course will teach you to use 3D software to create a three dimensional model. The software enables the user to create a virtual 3D model using  two dimensional “slices” and once put together they form the multi dimensional model.  
  2. Bootcamp: Pilates, Weights, and more: Don’t just sit on the couch all summer! Get up and move with this fun instructional class taught by our very own English teacher and The Voice moderator, Tara Komar. You’ll learn how to use gym equipment including weight machines and free weights. Not only will this course get you moving, it will give you the knowledge to go workout on your own and not be intimidated.
  3. App Maker l-ll: Learn how to create an app for your phone using App Inventor in this two- part class. During week one, you’ll learn how to create animated games, texting, and GPD apps. Week two will build on this knowledge by learning how to make database and internet enabling apps. This course allows lots of time for you to play around and be creative with technology while using logic and critical thinking skills.
  4. Costume Design: This class combines fashion and theater together to make for a unique and fun experience. Costume construction, historical period selection, color theory, and sketching are all taught in this week long afternoon course. It’s also taught by PresRep’s amazing costume designer Soren Carey and at the end of the class you will create a costume for this year’s PresRep musical, Seussical.
  5. Filmmaking: Taught by our new digital arts teacher, Grace Lee, filmmaking is comprised of two courses Screenwriting and Production. In Screenwriting, you’ll learn how to structure a film in three acts, how to write dialogue, and other tips for creating a great script. Through the duration of the class, you’ll also write two screenplays. Production class allows you to direct, produce, and shoot. Your own film. You’ll learn all about digital video productions and if you take Screenwriting, you’ll be able to shoot your original screenplay!
  6. Photography: Want to learn how to take cool candid photos of friends? Take digital photography! Not only will you learn about composition and the artistic side of photography, you’ll also learn about shutter speed, ISO, and flash. No need to own a camera as they will be provided, but if you have one feel free to bring it. This class is also a great intro for those who are looking to join Yearbook. Also make sure you sign up for this class soon because there are just a few spots left!
  7. Rising Seniors! Get a helpful and stress-reducing jump on college applications with the Navigating College Admissions camp. Help yourself get organized, get info about deadlines, and create a plan for your applications. Summer school principal Siobhán O’Byrne says, “You can creatively explore things that normally you wouldn’t have time or room in your normal schedule to do.” So take advantage of these awesome classes!