The Stars Are Out Tonight

DiLoreto (center) as Vanessa and Mulcahy (seated) as Nina singing

DiLoreto (center) as Vanessa and Mulcahy (seated) as Nina singing "No Me Diga" with costars Alyssa Nowlen as Daniela and Isabelle Dosdos as Carla

Sue Howell, Costume Designer

Sue Howell, Costume Designer

Robyn Naragon, Opinions Editor

Tucked away in the Valenzuela Theater, a group of actors and actresses have been hard at work bringing to life a little show called In the Heights. And after two months of rehearsals, leading ladies senior Carolyn DiLoreto and sophomore Claire Mulcahy are ready to take center stage and spread the word about this fun, new musical.

For most seniors, their final year is their time to rule the school. Carolyn DiLoreto does not pass up that chance and is starring in the role of Vanessa. DiLoreto’s character is a sassy young lady who dreams of getting out of Washington Heights in the Upper West Side of New York and finding a new life outside of the barrio.

“I can relate a little bit to Vanessa because, being a senior, I cannot wait to get out of this area and go to college. Like Vanessa, I know my future resides somewhere out of where I currently live. I am very happy and feel very fortunate to be playing the role of Vanessa,” said DiLoreto. An officer of the Presentation Dance Team, this will be DiLoreto’s first and last mainstage production at Pres before she graduates.

Even though the Performing Arts Program will lose a talented senior such as DiLoreto, who is also a captain of the Dance Team, the underclass-women have stepped up their game. Sophomore Claire Mulcahy arose from the crowd and proved that she had what it took to snatch up the coveted role of Nina. A hardworking girl who has made it out of the barrio on a scholarship to Stanford, Nina returns to Washington Heights to find herself in some very difficult situations.

“I don’t want to spoil anything,” stated Mulcahy. “So all I will say is that Nina experiences some pretty mature things in the course of the show and being younger than she is supposed to be, it’s been a little more challenging to relate.”

It’s not every day that the chance to see two talented Pres girls perform live on stage arises. And just like athletes, these girls have been working hard to win- in this case- a sold out house.

According to Mulcahy, “Rehearsals for me were fun for the most part. There were always those days that I just wasn’t in a good mood and wanted to just go home and sleep, and then I went to rehearsal and just being around my friends and being able to step out of my life and into someone else’s is just a really cool experience for me.”

In order to prepare for the two-hour performance, the actresses each have their own way of getting centered. For DiLoreto, it is important to warm up her voice and body and put herself in the mindset needed for a great show.

For Mulcahy, getting pumped up before curtain is the key to a good performance. “Before each show, I go and hang out with my friends and we pump each other up by listening to music and talking and laughing and then for about five to ten minutes I just pull myself together and just relax,” said Mulcahy. “By the time the show starts, I have that calming moment and the energy from my friends to make for an amazing show.”

As the stars perform these three weekends in November, they are doing something that they are passionate about. “I love being up on stage,” said DiLoreto. “I get an adrenaline rush and it makes everything seem so exciting and real in the moment.” Similarly, Mulcahy said, “Being on stage is one the most exhilarating things I have ever experienced.”

“I personally am ready for the show. The whole cast has been working so hard to put this fantastically hard show together and now I think we are all about ready to open,” stated Mulcahy prior to opening. “I think that in the end the show won’t be as perfect or flawless as we all want it to be, but as long as the audience is willing to laugh, cry, and have fun watching a show, then we will pick up their energy and the show will be great.”