Designer Profile: Taylor Schultz

Lauren Colvin, Reporter and Editor

Senior Taylor Schultz has been chosen as a finalist in a design competition with O’Neill and Teen Vogue. Her design, a dress with a 60’s vibe, will be showcased in the O’Neill Summer/Spring 2013 Fashion Show this November 3 at the Galleria in San Francisco.

O’Neill’s Generation Next contest was open for freshmen, sophomores and juniors in high school who live in Northern California, and out of the many applicants five girls were chosen as finalists.

These finalists designed dresses that were produced with O’Neill and will be showcased in their upcoming fashion show on Saturday, Nov. 3 from 6-9pm at the Galleria in San Francisco.

I met with Taylor Schultz to learn more about the contest and her experience as a finalist.

Q: Where did you hear about the contest?
A: I saw the contest in the Teen Vogue Magazine, and I thought it would be a really fun opportunity, I never thought I would be chosen for it.

Q: How did you enter the contest?
A: I filled out an application and submitted two photos of myself and what I like to wear as well as sketches of what I like to design. After that they called me for a phone interview and then brought me in for an in-person interview.

Q: When did you find out you were a finalist?
A: When I was driving home from the in-person interview I got a phone call and I thought it was going to be “Oh no, you didn’t make it” because it was so soon. I was so surprised when they said I was a finalist!

Q: What happens if you win?
A: If I get enough texts voting for my design I will win a $5,000 scholarship, my dress will be sold in the O’Neill 2013 Spring/Summer line and I will get an internship with O’Neill next summer down in LA.

Q: What are you doing in the fashion show?
A: I get my own segment where I get to style the looks, pick five of my friends to be models, style the hair and makeup, and at the end of my segment will be my design. There will also be a full O’Neill Fashion show with custom neoprene swimwear designed by Lauren Conrad, Marisa Miller, Jordana Brewster, A.J. Cook, and Leven Rambin.

Q: What have you done over the summer as a finalist?
A: We have gone up to San Francisco a few times over the summer and we also have Skype meetings once a month with our mentors. During these meetings we have been planning for the fashion show, the model’s hair and makeup, the music, and my design. I have also had interviews with O’Neill and Teen Vogue people and I got my hair and makeup done by Paul Mitchell before going out to dinner with everyone.

Q: How long did you spend on your design?
A: We spent two days in the city with our mentors designing and trying to pick out our fabrics and what we want to do for our dresses. My mentor’s name is Kendal and she is the graphic designer for O’Neill. Once I was chosen as a finalist I was given the decade the 1960’s so my dress is a mini dress with big bell sleeves to represent my decade. I’ve seen a sample of my design but it wasn’t in the right fabric so I haven’t seen the final dress, but I’ll get to see that in a couple of weeks so I’m excited.

Q: What have you learned through this process?
A: I have learned about the whole process that goes into designing, it’s so much more than just an idea. You have to talk to the seamstress on how it can be made and fit and to the graphic designers about the fabrics and prints. There is so much more than just the sketch of the dress.

Q: What are you most excited about?
A: Probably just seeing my design on the runway I think that it will be so exciting and just great to see it up on the runway.

Q: When did you first find interest in Fashion Design?
A: I started sewing when I was 5 because my grandma taught me but the whole fashion designing started in fourth or fifth grade. I love working with draping, working on my dress form, and sketching whenever I have time. I have also been the Saint Francis Cabrini fashion show manager for two years now and I am on the BP fashion board at Nordstrom.

Q: What are your goals for the future?
I’m still deciding on whether I want to go to a fashion institute or just get a marketing degree at a regular school for college, but I know that I want to be in the fashion industry one day. Being a fashion buyer is probably my dream job.