Player Profile: Taylor Greene

Samantha Olivares-Ramirez, Special Features Editor

Eight years ago a small fifth grader named Taylor Greene started her track journey. Now a high school senior, Greene reflects on the past and looks forward towards the future.

The Voice: What was it that inspired you to join?

TG: Both of my older brothers did track in high school and when I was younger it looked like fun to just run and jump. The concept of running competitively sounded like a challenge that interested me so I wanted to try it out and I ended up really liking it. Eventually, I stopped doing all of my other extracurricular activities and stuck with track alone.

The Voice: What events do you do?

TG: I am on two relay teams, the 4×1 and 4×4. In both relays after you run the required amount you pass the baton to the next person on your team. So this is the only real ‘team’ part of track in field because really track and field is about beating your personal best times or recordings. The other people you compete against is kinda like motivation to beat your personal best record. I run two hurdle races. The first one is a the short version there’s ten hurdles I have to hurdle over in 100m which is pretty technical and takes a ton of practice to master. My main event, though, is the 300h and my personal best time is 45.9 at a dual meet last year. It means running 300m which is 3/4 of the track and clearing hurdles in your lane until the finish line. I went to CCS finals for that event. I plan on going for the state championship this year.

The Voice: What is your training regimen?

TG: I train seven days a week which includes working on technique over the hurdles, staying fit, and lifting weights. On Sundays it’s purely working with my technique over the hurdles. Mondays is a sprinting workout, Tuesday is hurdling technique day and weight lifting day, Wednesday is a hard running endurance day, Thursday is a hurdling technique day, Friday is an easy day working with relays and starts in the blocks and weight lifting day, and finally Saturday is the day of my meets. Tuesdays and Fridays are my three long track practices. When season officially starts, there will be meets on Wednesdays.

The Voice: Any embarrassing moments?

TG: An embarrassing moment was when I fell in one of my 300 hurdle races. I was at Serra Top 7 Invitionals and ended up falling full speed on a hurdle. I scraped both of my knees pretty badly, but I continued to get up and finish the race.

The Voice: Has it been difficult this year without a sprints coach?

TG: Yes, because the hurdles and jumps coach have to switch off on certain days to train the sprinters which could be quite overwhelming for the coaches. A lot of times they cannot watch everyone at once so most of the time I have to do work outs by myself and analyze if I’m doing something right or wrong based off of advice I’ve been given in the past.

The Voice: Have you won any awards and how did you feel when you received it?

TG: I’ve won MVP all three years in high school so far and it felt good considering that there’s other great runners representing Pres. I felt very honored and proud.

Which track stars inspire you the most?

TG: There are many people that inspire me including a couple Olympic track athletes but if I were to choose one person it would be my brother, Napoleon. My brother inspires me because he did the same events I did and he continued to do them throughout college at UCI. Unfortunately, he had to get surgery in his leg due to unexpected complications. The doctor told my brother he would never run track again but he didn’t take that as an answer. After extensive physical therapy and strengthening sessions, he started running and even hurdling again. He redshirted his senior year in college and ended up finishing his season in the NCAA Regionals. The fact that he proved his doctor wrong was truly inspiring to me and says that anything is possible.

The Voice: How do you think your track career has changed you?

TG: I think my overall experience has been a roller coaster because I didn’t realize how much work and extensive training it takes to be a track athlete. I discovered many things about myself which revealed my strengths and weaknesses physically and mentally.

The Voice: Being a senior, what are some of your goals for yourself this season?

TG: To help score as many points as possible by winning the events I participate in which includes the 4×100 meter relay, 100 meter hurdles, 300 meter hurdles, and 4×400 meter relay.

The Voice: Are you going to pursue track in college?

TG: I would like to pursue track in college because I feel like I can become better if I continue training. I also love the community and friendships made along the way of becoming a better athlete while simultaneously reaching my best potential outside of academics. It’s like a 3-for-1 deal.

The Voice: How has being an athlete affected your Presentation experience?

TG: Being an athlete has definitely affected my Presentation experience by meeting more great people and learning to balance academics. I learned leadership skills and grew in terms of determination to reach my goals.

The Voice: Is there anything you would like to add about track or your experience as a student athlete?

TG: In track and field it takes more than just being fit which is what a lot of people assume. It takes patience and understanding of your event as well whether it be pole vaulting, hurdling, throwing, jumping, or running. With the right training and knowledge is where the confidence kicks in. With confidence comes determination and goal-setting which ultimately leads to greatness.