Spring Sports Roundup

Therese Abely

Therese Abely

Isabel Ibarra, Copy Editor, Community Editor

Not only are we currently wrapping up our school’s academic year, but we are also finishing this year’s sports. Here are the recaps for this year’s spring sports at Pres:

Swimming & Diving:
The Swimming and Diving Team had a great season, with many new pool and team records. The swim team was the largest high school team not only in the WCAL league, but in the country. Both Varsity and JV finished the season with a 5-2 overall record. WCALs was a success; with 38 WCAL Finalists, Varsity was 3rd overall and JV got 2nd, beating Mitty, which Pres lost to in the dual meet, so it was a big success. The CCS Team was composed of 11 spectacular swimmers: Lindsay Allen, Kayla Barker, Audrey Berner, Kate Blach, Hannah Blazing, Stephanie Blankley, Abby Harris, Chloe Isleta, Mackenzie Kirk, Grace Leonis, and Emma Malyz. Two divers also competed in CCS: Celine Chuapoco and Ria Chuapoco. The CCS team placed 12th out of over 70 teams.

Track & Field:
The Track & Field Team also competed well this Spring, earning many PRs and improvements. Both Varsity and JV finished with a 2-4 record. They also fought hard in many tournaments, including the Mt. Pleasant Relays, the K-Bell Classic, the St. Francis Invitational, the Avis Kelley Invitational, the Stanford Track & Field Invitational, the CCS Top 7 Classic, and the Junipero Serra Invitational. At WCAL, 15 athletes total from JV and Varsity placed in the top ten for one or both of their events. Taylore Jaques (pole vault), Sydney Jaques (pole vault), and Hannah Wood (mile) all qualified for the CCS Trials this Saturday at San Jose City College.

Softball:
Varsity and JV Softball both had a very successful season this year. Varsity had an impressive 21-6 overall record, and JV finished with 15 wins, 1 tie, and 7 losses. JV scored 209 runs and stole 81 bases. Their batting average was .362, and they had 5 home runs. Varsity scored 199 runs. Their batting average was .346, and they stole 61 bases and hit 11 home runs. Varsity Softball received the #6 seed in the CCS Division II playoffs, in which they are currently competing this week.