Football: Are We Missing Out?

Creative Commons

Kathlen Heylman, Reporter

Bright lights, screaming fans, preppy cheerleaders and of course the dreamy football players. High school football is a tradition that schools take great pride in. Unlike many other sports, football attracts big crowds of fans. But why football?

Boys and girls alike go to the games in order to show their support to their fellow students on the field. Not only is football an opportunity to show school spirit, but it is also a major social event. Often times the social aspect is what attracts certain students to attend, even those who have no interest in the actual game itself. We all know people like this; maybe you might even be one of them.

Along with football season comes a variety of traditions. Depending on the school, there is homecoming, rallies and themed game nights. These events increase the rate of attendance to games by making them more fun and exciting. “I love dressing up for themed games. Everyone looks so funny and it just makes the whole thing so much better,” says Kelsey Squarcia, junior at Archbishop Mitty High School.

So imagine going to school that didn’t have a football team. Oh, wait…

“Girls go to Bellarmine’s games because they feel like that’s our football team,” says Makayla Davis, junior. But does going to Bell games really make up for our lack of a legitimate football team? Senior Maddy Collier disagrees, saying, “You can’t really have the same kind of pride in Bell’s team that boys that go there do. It’s completely different because that’s their own school.”

While some Pres students bemoan the fact that not having a football team means that we can never have a decent social event surrounding one of our games, maybe not having a football team isn’t such a bad thing.

Consider this: “The United States routinely spends more tax dollars per high-school athlete than per high-school math student—unlike most countries worldwide,” according to an article from The Atlantic.

In an article written in the Chicago Tribune, it says that the estimated cost for a high school football team is up to $100,000 a year. Imagine what a school could do with an extra $100,000. States and districts continue to make funding cuts for public schools, and yet a majority of those schools choose to continue their football programs and get rid of other programs and employees instead.

Proponents of high school football programs argue that football provides revenue for their schools. But when calculated, it was estimated that the revenue of football games only amounted to half of the team’s cost.

The Atlantic also goes on to say that the prioritization of sports may be the cause of lack of focus and performance in academics nationwide. Currently the United States is ranked 17th overall out of 40 countries in the developed world for education. That surprisingly mediocre ranking is nothing to be proud of.

Schools that don’t put so much priority in their sports encourage students to focus more on their education. So maybe not having a football team is beneficial to Pres after all.