Game of the Month: Varsity Basketball vs Westmont

Nici Gilday

Leanna Boyd

Senior Chelsea Punian began the game against the Westmont Warriors with the tip off, knocking the ball away from the opposing player, but the Warriors gained possesion of the ball scoring the first point of the game.

The Panthers quickly took control of the ball and passed it down the court and the game began. Getting to the game, the score was Panthers 10- Warriors 5. The Panthers rapidly passed the ball back and forth between  seniors Nici Gilday, Stephanie Rechenmacher, sophomore Courtney Danna and freshman Joeseta Fatuesi until on a two point shot by the Panthers, Danna was fouled by a Warrior while attempting a lay-up. Danna took two foul shots from the top of the key and made both altering the score to 12-9 Panthers.

The Warriors took possession of the ball, only to drop it between passes and Fatuesi snatched it away passing to Gilday and the rest of the team. Passing and scoring commenced for the rest of the first quarter with 30.7 seconds left on the clock, the Panthers possessed the ball after a change of possesion via a passing offensive foul and Gilday made a huge three-pointer. But the Warriors took the ball with seconds to go and their number 30 made a three-pointer that ended the quarter with a tied score of 14-14.

The second quarter commenced similarly to the first but with the Panthers always having the lead. The Warriors always seemed to have the ball but the Panthers time after time stole possession and made the baskets. With 4:27 left in the second quarter, the Westmont coach called time out. The Warriors brought the ball back into play with a hard pass to another player who missed the ball, leaving junior Amanda Dung to swoop in dribbling the ball down and passing it off to Gilday and Fatuesi with Gilday attempting a shot but on the rebound a Warrior claimed the ball. She travels and Dung throws the ball in from the side lines continuing the game until the Warriors had the ball, but out of nowhere senior Molly Pearson glides in, snatching the ball and completing a lay-up.

The whistle calls for half time with the score Panthers 32, Warriors 25. Both teams leave to go to the locker room and return after the one minute warning bell sounds.

New players are substituted in for the 3rd quarter with speedy passes and points scored by both teams. At 2:35 seconds left in the quarter, some close calls occurred where the Warriors had possession, lost it to the Panthers. The Panthers lost the ball but Punian quickly recovered to score the point.  The accuracy of three point shots from the Panthers was amazing as was the speed with which the players passed the ball back and forth between each other. The fourth  quarter continued similarly to the first three with the Panthers continuing to hold control over the game to the dismay of the Warriors. Their coach called time out with minutes left in the game while the Panthers ran smiling to their end of the court.

With seconds left in the game, the opponent had possession of the ball but missed the pass and Rechenmacher and Dung navigate towards the hoop and Rechenmacher completes the lay-up just as the whistle sounds ending the game 67-41.

The Panthers, following winning CCS Semi-Finals, went up against the Monarchs (Mitty) on March fourth at Santa Clara University. The game was a nail-bitter because the team’s scores were neck-in-neck until the end where the Panthers won 44-41 becoming WCAl and CCS Division II champions for 2011. Great job Panthers!