February Game of the Month: Presentation vs. Sacred Heart

Nicole Cuenca

Ramey Parks

Presentation’s varsity soccer team dominated against the Irish (Sacred Heart) on Jan. 29 finishing the game 4-1. The game showed the young team’s potential for the upcoming WCAL tournament and CCS.

Sacred Heart started off with the ball, but junior Maire Rooney quickly took to dominating the center field and feeding balls wide to junior Megan McArthur. After a few ping pong minutes in the beginning, plays started developing in the back.

Defense was on point with junior Rachel Ometer controlling the back in the sweeper position, clearing everything in sight. Freshman Sarah Lipscomb raised the game’s energy by flying past an Irish and feeding the ball to Rooney who took a strong shot on goal, where it bounced off the crossbar. Freshman Maile Washington came hard to follow, planting the ball in the top right corner. 1-0 Panthers.

With some shots on goal and brilliant saves by captain senior Jennifer Randazzo, the half ended with Ometer and defender junior Julia Schon attacking two opponents at the top of the box and both ended on the ground, later having to leave the field, but the Panthers’ defense line held up.

The second half started with a quick shot by Rooney while McArthur and Washington kept following. Juniors Stephanie Maniglia and MC Guidoux stepped up in the wing and midfield position to get some strong shots off as well.

Fouls started flying until Ometer had one in the box, creating the opportunity for the Irish to score through a penalty kick. Randazzo almost had the stop, but it redirected into the goal off her feet. With the score 1-1 with 26 minutes left, the Panthers started crashing the goal.

Three minutes later, after Sacred Heart’s goalie failed with a punt, Lipscomb took a quick look and fired from almost midfield, flying over the goalie’s head into goal, making the game 2-1. Three minutes after that, Guidoux attacked through the defense and Maniglia came from behind and placed the ball over the goalie’s head again.

Without laying off the defensive pressure, with 16 minutes left, McArthur took a quick throw-in to the top of the box where Guidoux was ready to fire, nailing the ball into the back of the net.

Confident in their position, Randazzo went out in exchange for senior Andrea Tomlinson at goal. Finishing the game with heads held high, the Panthers walked proudly off the field with smiles of jobs well done. Check them out at their next game this Saturday, Feb. 5 at Presentation at 11 a.m. against Notre Dame Belmont.