Player Profile: Angie Korpusik

Angie Korpusik

Sonia Patel, Opinions Editor

The Voice had the great opportunity to talk with Angie Korpusik, a senior at Presentation and a super star athlete. She is on the Varsity team in both cross country and track and field. Angie has competed in a number of local competitions as well as extremely competitive races at WCAL and CCS.

Voice: How did you become interested in running?AK: My sister did running, and I really liked doing sports in general so I decided to try out for the track team in middle school.

Voice: How much do you run during practice?AK: Last week we did around 30 miles. We are developing our base right now so the mileage will decrease later on. But we run around five miles a day.

Voice: What/where is your favorite practice run?AK: My favorite run is at Quicksilver Park and it is called “Crazy Kate” because it’s nine miles. I like it a lot because it is a lot of uphill and downhill.

Voice: When did you make it to the Varsity team? What did it take?AK: Sophomore year when I went out for cross country and I got into varsity. Training over the summer and doing track in freshman year helped prepare me for varsity.

Voice: What are some of your most proud achievements in running?AK: Besides breaking my two-mile time, another race that I am especially proud of was the cross country CCS finals at Toro Park my sophomore year. This was a tough race due to the course’s several steep hills, but I was able to place 16th.

Voice: You are a member of both cross country and track, so do you prefer one over the other?AK: Cross country. I like running on hills, forests, wilderness, and nice scenery.

Voice: Who’s your running mentor?AK: [Coach] Cozort. He encouraged me to try out for cross country and he is really positive overall, and if we get really tired, he will start singing or joking around.

Voice: What is your most memorable running experience?AK: My most memorable running experience was last year’s WCAL track two-mile. I was really excited to beat my previous time by more than 20 seconds in order to finish with a time of 11:34. It enabled me to compete in the CCS meet and place 14th in the trials.

Voice: How has running affected you as a person?AK: It has helped me to stay healthy by keeping me fit and motivating me to eat nutritious food and to get adequate sleep every night.

Training with the other Pres distance runners has also shown me the importance of working with other teammates so that I not only meet my personal goals, but also help my team to improve as a whole in order to reach our collective aspirations. Running also makes me happy in general since I love running on hills in the forest and working hard. After all, hard training helps to increase my endorphin levels, making me even happier!