Player Profile: Sheila Murray

Sheila Murray has been on the varsity practice group for two years, and has had a phenomenal year.

Kristina Ngo

The Voice took a splash into the life of senior Sheila Murray, who has been swimming on the Presentation team for all four years.  She has the top five fastest time for the 50 butterfly junior varsity.
The Voice: When did you start swimming?
SM: I learned how to swim when I was 4 years old. And then I swam in my cabana club every summer until I was about in fifth grade. When Pres swimming started, I started becoming involved with swimming again. Up until junior year, it was Pres swimming in the fall. And then junior year I decided to join Sunnyvale club team and I swam that for a year from September to February when Pres started again. And then this past season at Pres.
The Voice: So you started when you were four years old—was there a reason why you started so early?
SM:I learned how to swim at four years old. But, five years old is when I started to do strokes. At that age, at cabana club, you’re basically swimming a lap—that’s your race.
The Voice: What do you like most about swimming?
SM: You feel amazing after a really good workout at swimming; you get a really good workout. I love when you put in so much effort to swim and you knock off time at meets. That is definitely amazing. It’s a great feeling—the amount of strength and athletic ability it gives you.
The Voice: Do you plan on swimming for college?
SM: Yeah, I’m hopefully going to be joining the club team at Purdue. Hopefully, I’ll be swimming year round because I really enjoy it.
The Voice: Is there anyone who motivates you? Your parents? Coach?
SM: Yeah, I have a best friend and we’ve been best friends since freshman year, her name’s Claire. And we’ve both really pushed each other to do better. We both swim different strokes though. She swims breast stroke and I swim fly. We definitely motivate each other to knock off time because both of us are stuck at this time, where we can’t break any more seconds off. She definitely motivates me to swim better.

The Voice: Is there a competition or experience that sticks out to you the most?
SM: Every time that you hit the wall and you realize “Oh I knocked off time” that’s a really great feeling. Last year, I swam the 50 fly and literally could not break 30 seconds. It was so frustrating because you train so hard and you can’t break that—the 30 is like the border—and we went off to Valley Christian and we had a meet. I went up to the race and I was like “Okay whatever. I don’t think I’m going to break 30 because I haven’t done it yet.” And I hit that wall and I turned around and I saw Marissa on the wall and she’s like “YEAAHH! You did it!” And I turn around and I saw my 29 96 and it was amazing! And I did the whole like “YESSS!” It was like, finally, it happened! And it wasn’t one of those moments when you were like “I’m gonna do this. I’m gonna do this.” I just kinda went in like relaxed and I was gonna try to do it my best. But it finally happened. Oh my gosh it was amazing.
The Voice: You do the butterfly stroke. Is it your favorite? Or are you the best at that stroke?
SM: I do it every day at practice.  It’s really difficult when you do a lot of it because it definitely takes a lot of energy out of you. Being able to swim it and being able to do it with the amount of power it takes definitely makes it worth it. When you’re swimming against everyone else in the team and the next think you know there’s no one next to you. It’s nice. I enjoy doing it.
The Voice: Is there a figure you look up to for swimming or just life, in general?
SM: My sister. She tried really hard at Pres and got into a really good school. She’s always been really good at water polo.  And I guess I just love her a lot.