Stretching the Rules: Leggings

Kav Lakshmi, Reporter

Have you ever walked through the hallway and seen teachers in leggings and wondered why you aren’t allowed to wear them?

Or, have you ever seen a field hockey or tennis player have to ask permission to take off their jacket and expose their shoulders–from a teacher who is already exposing her shoulders in a tank or halter-style top?

For years now, the students at Pres have often been reminded of the “no yoga pants” rule, and the free dress code rules are ingrained in students’ minds for fear of a detention. Yet the students also see the faculty of Pres wearing the same clothing items that we are punished for wearing–specifically, leggings and tops that show their shoulders.

So let’s take a look at the hypocrisy of the dress code.

Teachers serve as role models for students. They are first and foremost educators, but teachers also impact the personal lives of students throughout their educational experience. Therefore, if a student’s role model is wearing clothing deemed inappropriate for the student themselves, that is hypocritical.

Both students and teachers are in a work environment and, therefore, both should be given the same level of freedom when it comes to fashion. Though students and teachers are at school for different reasons–teachers are here to work and students are here to learn–both are in the same environment and should be treated similarly.

To train students in a college preparatory environment and treat them as young adults, but implement dress code rules contrasting this by treating students as though they are unaware of the appropriate clothing for a work environment is hypocritical.

Just as the teachers who wear leggings or shoulder-baring tops do so with common sense, so too are students capable of understanding the difference between clothing for their home life versus their  school life

The students at Pres can determine whether or not certain leggings and tank tops are appropriate for school. Students are not going to show up wearing see-through leggings and they can determine whether a longer shirt would be more appropriate with certain bottoms. If they misjudge, then give them detention, but don’t ban the entire student body from wearing these comfortable clothes.

To give teachers a clothing freedom that students are not provided with is unfair. Some people may argue that adults often have privileges that kids don’t, which is true, but if the reasoning behind our free-dress code is so that we look “appropriate,” “professional,” or “not skanky,” (all commonly cited by teachers and administrators), then shouldn’t teachers be held to the same standards?

Students have the maturity to dress themselves appropriately for school. If they are to be treated like young adults by teachers, they should be given the luxuries along with the responsibilities.