Skype Qik: Worth Your Time?

Krista Blazier, Reporter

Imagine an application for your iPhone or iPad where you could instantly send short videos to your friends so they could see how much fun you are having! Oh wait, doesn’t that already exist?

Well, the answer is yes…and no. Someone who reads that description might automatically think of of the popular application, Snapchat, where friends are able to send each other pictures, videos, and text without actually using the “Messaging” application.

However, Snapchat has a new competitor, one that has made its way to the App Store. The application is called Qik, but don’t get this mixed up with the other messaging application Kik, which is more of a text-based messenger. No, Qik is an application created by Skype with the goal of taking over the business of video messaging.

Most likely, you have used Skype at some point in your life. If you are one of the few who has not, Skype is an app for computers, phones, and tablets that allows you to communicate with another user through real-time video. From the same company comes Qik, a new and more convenient video-messaging app.

In a world where time is everything and convenience is highly sought after, it seems as though the old phrase “bigger and better” has transformed into one new standard for success: “faster.”

Instead of being similar to a phone call as the original Skype video is, Qik is like a text message, the more convenient form of communication between the two. Qik allows you to take up to 42 seconds of video to send directly to either a single friend or a group. Your friends can simply open your messages and reply when they choose. They are able to reply back with their own videos, too. Unlike Snapchat, the application keeps previous videos in your conversations unless you delete them, similarly to the way texts are kept on the iPhone.

In addition, you can pre-set videos that are ready to send whenever you feel compelled to. Once you pre-record and store a video, it becomes an option to send to a chat at any moment (kind of like a personalized video Emoji of yourself). All you do is click the happy face in the bottom right corner in order to send your “shortcut” video. So, if you don’t feel like putting a lot of thought to your replies, you can always just send the same video. This is one of the features unique to Qik that makes Snapchat seem a bit outdated.

Unfortunately, the app does have its downfalls The process of actually beginning your chats may prove to be a bit confusing. Unlike almost any other application or form of social media, Qik does not have you create a profile. Of course, the bright side of this is that you won’t have to remember a username or password, or receive any of those annoying emails from the company. However, your friends can’t exactly search for you with a username. In order to begin a chat, Qik uses your contacts to search for phone numbers that were registered in the Qik database upon download. So, if you want your friends to be able to find your account, make sure that they have the number that you use to register your account with.

If you are up for the challenge of learning to use a new type of social media, Qik is a fun and exciting new way to communicate. Sure, at first you might feel a bit confused. But if your grandparents can figure out Facebook, you can figure out Qik. Besides, isn’t a brand new application and yet another way to communicate with your friends just what your life needs? The app may seem a little “been there, done that,” but it definitely has potential to be an exciting new form of communication. It may not be the most user-friendly, yet once you figure it out, it has a lot to offer. As of now, the star rating of Qik in the Apple App Store exceeds that of Snapchat. You could be the one to set the trend of using Qik, or like it before it gets popular. Who knows? Maybe it will turn out to be your new favorite app. So, go ahead and download Qik; it’s free!