Ten Years of Remembrance: September 11

Creative Commons

The memorial at the Pentagon honors those who lost their lives on 9/11.

Elizabeth Bernal

Do you remember where you were exactly ten years ago on the morning of September 11? That morning, the World Trade Center crashed to the ground, killing thousands, due to a horrifying attack by al-Qaeda terrorists. This event has defined and shaped the culture that our generation has grown up in.

On this fateful day, al-Qaeda terrorists hijacked four jet planes. Their attack targets were the Pentagon, the White House, and the World Trade Center. Both the Pentagon and the World Trade Center were hit, killing both people in the building and innocent travelers on the jets.

I remember hearing the news of the attacks the morning of September 11 when I was in second grade. I remember being confused by the smoking building on the news reports and what my parents were trying to explain to me.

From a very young age, I was always taught that the United States was a safe and strong nation. I, like many others, believed our country to be invincible from attacks.

Looking back, I realize truly how this event has shaped my life and outlooks. The heroes who risked their lives to save the victims of the attack taught me the goodness and bravery of human nature. I am so grateful to these men and women who fought and continue to fight for our freedom each day, here and overseas.

I will never forget the sense of unity that September 11 brought to our country. Despite different views, economic statuses, and races, the people of America came together to support the victims, their families, and all those affected by these tragic events.

I have had the privilege of visiting both Ground Zero, the site where the Twin Towers once stood, and the Pentagon memorial. Although they differ in that the Pentagon has a formal memorial honoring the victims while Ground Zero remained a pile of rubble at the time of my visit, the spirit of both sites was identical: respect and remembrance for the victims and those affected by the attacks and also pride for our country.

In particular, one detail of Ground Zero made a profound impact on me. In the rubble of the fallen buildings, firefighters found a support beam broken into the shape of a perfect cross; this cross stood in memory of the victims at the site.

It is important to look to the past to remember the victims and heroes of 9/11, but it is just as important to look into the future of our nation. I believe and hope, that these attacks have made our country stronger.

The unity achieved by the bonding of our nation to get through this event will hopefully permeate into the future. Our country runs most effectively when we fight together for a common purpose.

Also, I hope that terrorism will someday be no more. I know we can make this a reality. Less than fifty years ago, everyone believed our country would soon be destroyed because of nuclear attacks. In my lifetime, I have never feared this fate.

Someday, my children will be in second grade, the same age I was when the World Trade Center fell, and maybe they will ask, “Mommy, what’s a terrorist?” Nothing would make me happier than to respond, “A terrorist is a horrible person who hurts people just for the purpose of creating fear. But you don’t have to worry about them. They aren’t around anymore.”