5 Books and Movies About Inspirational Women
March 21, 2017 • 74 views
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
In response to the debut of Hidden Figures, the telling of an amazing story about three African-American NASA scientists, we have compiled a list of other inspiring stories about empowering women that you should go read or see right now.
- I Am Malala – Malala Yousafzai
- Book (2013)
- The story of a girl who later became a symbol of courage and hope through her struggles with Taliban rule and the ban on female education in Pakistan. Malala’s book is an excellent wake up call to the continuing problems for women in developing countries. She has become a figure for educational liberation and an inspiration for young women all around the world.
- The Help – Kathryn Stockett
- Book (2009) Movie (2011)
- The fictional account of a journalist during the Civil Rights era and her attempt to tell the stories of two African-American maids in her hometown. The journalist, Eugenia Phelan, neglects her status as a wealthy white socialite and convinces the African-American help to contribute their stories to a book. Their stories bring to light the disgusting manner in which black domestic workers are treated.
- Introducing Dorothy Dandridge
- Movie (1999)
- A biopic about the first black actress to be nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress. With her role in Carmen Jones, Dorothy breaks ground in regards to African-Americans in Hollywood. Fittingly, Halle Berry, portraying Dorothy, won the Oscar for Best Actress in 2000, after the movie was released.
- English Vinglish
- Movie (2012)
- The story of an Indian housewife in her journey towards learning English. In the movie, Shashi Godbole is tired of her husband and daughter mocking her for not speaking the language, so she takes her education into her own hands and gains self-respect in the process. Shashi’s character encourages not only the immersion into other cultures, but the right to take control of your own knowledge.
- Big Eyes
- Movies (2014)
- The story of a female painter in the 50s overcoming her abusive husband and his taking credit of her artwork. Margaret Keane starts out as a timid housewife with a silent passion for art. Through her second marriage, Margaret learns how to stand up for herself and defies standards for women in the 1950’s.