Presentation Receives Outstanding Youth Philanthropic Organization

Senior Katie Bowman smiles as she brings in cans to donate after canvassing the neighborhood for her class.

Megan Munce

Megan Munce, Online Editor

Each year Pres girls prep for the new year by filling the halls with cans, gently used coats and blankets, and Thanksgiving turkeys to donate to Sacred Heart Community Service during Pres’ longest and biggest service event: the Holiday Drives.

However, Presentation High School’s contributions to Sacred Heart are far from limited to the five weeks of the winter season devoted to giving back to the community. Throughout the year, plaid skirts are pouring in and out of Sacred Heart’s doors: working in the pantry, participating in different affiliated off-campus volunteer opportunities, and tutoring in the after-school program.

In recognition of all of these contributions, Presentation was honored last month by Sacred Heart Community Service and the Association of Fundraising Professionals Silicon Valley Chapter as the Youth Philanthropic Organization of the Year at the 30th Annual Silicon Valley Philanthropy Day.

Last year alone, Presentation donated $46,222.42 from Black & White and Penny Drive proceeds, 16,885 food items to stock Sacred Heart’s pantry during the holiday season and throughout the rest of the year, and 2,009 toys to be distributed to children during the Christmas.

These broad interactions have created a deep connection between Sacred Heart and the Presentation community. “I think it’s about how we’re not just trying to donate and run, we are really trying to create a relationship with them and they are trying to create a relationship with us,” said Director of Community Involvement Lindsay Swoboda.

She added, “We’re trying to meet their customers or help with their advocacy efforts and the social issues that they think are important or that our neighbors think are important. We’re trying to support them offering educational support, [and] girls go in and tutor throughout the year in the after school academy or are involved in the summer academy…We view ourselves as an active partner.”

Along with Presentation High School, the Lantern Leaguea women’s giving circle made up of members of the Presentation communitywas nominated by the Girl Scouts of Northern California as Outstanding Philanthropic Organization of the Year. Annual donations by individual members allowed the group to award $48,050 in community grants last year to support different organizations such as the Girl Scouts.  

Last year, the Lantern League made a contribution of $9,610 to the Girl Scouts of Northern California: Daughters of Farmworkers to empower girls from migratory farming families and support their education.

“We obviously don’t do the work that we do to get credit for it but I think it’s exciting that both Sacred Heart and Presentation are getting recognized for the work we do in the community,” said Swoboda. “We can all ensure our brothers and sisters here in Silicon Valley have the things that they need, but especially during the holidays they can get a little bit of extra joy.”

Members of the Lantern League as well as representatives from Presentation and the Community Involvement club will attend the Silicon Valley Philanthropy Day on Thursday, Nov. 16 at the Santa Clara Convention Center.

Meanwhile, Pres girls can continue to stay involved with Sacred Heart, especially heading into their busy holiday season. There are opportunities this month to volunteer distributing Thanksgiving food at Sacred Heart, as well as a family morning of service on Saturday, Nov. 18. Information about distribution days in December and more opportunities to volunteer will follow.

THANKSGIVING FOOD DISTRIBUTION DAYS!

Tuesday, November 21 3pm-4:30pm

Tuesday, November 21 3:35pm-7pm

Wednesday, November 22 10:15pm-1:30pm

To volunteer, email Ms. Catalan at [email protected] or sign up on the CI door!