Racing to Resolution

A view of our scenic San Jose City Hall

Creative Commons

A view of our scenic San Jose City Hall

Alexa Westlake, Reporter

The election is over, but as of press time, the San Jose mayor’s race was still in contention. Sam Liccardo appears to have taken the lead, at 51% to Dave Cortese’s 49%, but with thousands of mail-in ballots still to be counted, Cortese has refused to concede. leaving the direction of San Jose’s future at a crossroads.

The candidates had similar positions on several issues important to San Jose, but their main difference was about public safety. It was this issue that seemed to really divide voters both in San Jose and here at Presentation.

Liccardo approached public safety from a budgetary standpoint, vowing to continue working toward pension reform so that San Jose can stop laying off police officers due to lack of funds.

In contrast, Dave Cortese said he wanted the city to stop fighting the lawsuits over Measure B, much of which had been deemed illegal, and to restore more than one-third of wages to the police officers.

In an interview with the Presentation Voice before the election took place, Cortese said of Liccardo, “He continues to talk about pensions as if that’s still a current issue. I don’t agree that it is. I certainly dont agree there’s anything that he can do about it, or any mayor.”

Instead Cortese said he wants to reverse the trend of officers leaving the force by getting them back to the bargaining table to work out issues with wages because “…that’s the way it has been done for years.”

In an interview with the Presentation Voice, Liccardo said he envisions San Jose to be “the safest, most innovative city where every child has a shot at college.”

In the mock election, Presentation students voted for Liccardo to win as well. “I felt like Liccardo really highlighted the need for a new, hip, and urban downtown,” said junior Jillian MaCleod. “San Jose downtown is often dead, and bringing young people involved in tech would really help our city grow.”

Freshman Julia Heimburger thought that both candidates had the city’s best interest in mind. “It was a hard choice,” Heimburger said. “It’s a complicated issue with a complicated solution, and it will be the future mayor’s responsibility to find out what works.”

San Jose is one of the largest cities in the country and therefore has big challenges. The mayor has some big shoes to fill. We must wish whoever formally wins the best of luck and hope that he lives up to creating his vision of a future San Jose .