Untraditional Thanksgiving Traditions

Rachel Jacobson, Special Features Editor

Thanksgiving. You can almost taste the roast turkey and pumpkin pie as it rolls off the tongue. The dinner table is set with too much food on it, you engage in loud and uncomfortable conversations with family you only see twice a year, and somewhere in the background football playing on the TV.

Isn’t this the typical Thanksgiving? Is this not what everyone experiences? For many Pres girls, in fact, it is not. Their Thanksgiving day is filled with atypical customs, but for them, that is what makes Thanksgiving a tradition.

One junior, Tanya Nobel, has a seemingly non-traditional Thanksgiving. “My brother, my cousin and I make a turkey out of fruit since most of the people that I celebrate with are vegetarians,” Nobel says. “ And every year, whether it’s before, after or during dinner, we always play a giant game of poker together which ends in the song Poker Face being played an excessive amount of times.”

While this seems out of the ordinary, Nobel says, “Looking back it seems very non-traditional, but it’s always a lot of fun and brings everyone close together and that’s what matters the most.”

Another student, freshman Zoe Miller, is spending this Thanksgiving at a change of venue: “This year my family is planning to go to Mexico and eat tacos on the beach during sunset for Thanksgiving.”

Two other Pres girls engage in some fun-loving games after their Thanksgiving dinner. Junior Madison Temple says, “My family usually goes to the park and plays a game of softball after dinner,” while freshman Alexa Molinaro says, “My neighborhood goes and plays a huge game of flag football.”

For senior Samantha Olivares-Ramirez, her Thanksgiving tradition is a lack of tradition. “The closest thing my family has to a Thanksgiving tradition is eating pozole and tamales. Other than that, where and whom we spend it with varies every year,” she says. “Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Mexico, so there isn’t any set tradition that we follow. When we were younger, my parents tried to assimilate us to American culture by having more formal celebrations with my cousins, but now that  we are older, that doesn’t matter anymore.”

Samantha is not alone in her lack of a Thanksgiving tradition. The convention of Thanksgiving is strictly American, so many students might not celebrate it, especially if their families are from other cultures.

Thanksgiving is a time where we are meant to be grateful for what we have and to spend time with loved ones. While some might stray from the norm in their celebrations, what truly matters is that they are spending it with family.

In itself, Thanksgiving is a weird norm we Americans observe, so it is understandable that our students would have strange traditions, if they chose to celebrate at all.