Mamma Mia 2: Here We Go Again!

Isabella Granqvist, Reporter

The amazing sounds of ABBA, Meryl Streep’s uber-talented face and a phenomenally funny story: Mamma Mia truly has it all. Now, 10 years after its release, comes the sequel Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!

Although some fans may be disappointed having to wait until Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! is released on July 20, there’s definitely a plus to the wait time: plenty of time to over-analyze the trailer and of course, rewatch the original.

First, the trailer. Most of the original cast is returning, (as well as newcomer Cher!) and this time the story is focused on Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) being pregnant and learning about her mother’s past as opposed to the first movie, which was focused on Sophie’s wedding and father(s).

This is all well and good, however, many superfans of the first movie noticed that someone seems to be missing from the trailer… a certain goddess by the name of Meryl Streep. Streep played Donna in the first movie, or Sophie’s mother, and is strangely absent from the trailer(s) besides flashbacks to the original film.

This has led many to believe that Donna is dead in the sequel, as her friends can be shown telling Sophie about her mother’s past rather than Donna telling Sophie herself, and Sophie mentioning “I don’t know how to do this by myself” in regards to her pregnancy. “Your mother was the bravest person we ever met” and other sentiments seemingly confirm this, but there’s no way to know for sure until the film comes out.

It is worth noting, however, that Seyfried said this in an interview: “She’s [Streep] very much a part of Mamma Mia 2… I mean, her character, Donna, is the heart and soul of Mamma Mia… Everybody’s very much in the movie, and then some. You know what, nobody should worry.”

Although Streep may be missing from the trailer, her character certainly isn’t. A good portion of the movie covers Donna’s (played by Lily James) life when she was young in 1979 and had Sophie. The three ‘dads’ are also returning, but will also be shown in their youth.

One thought that may be comforting to potential moviegoers is the fact that this film is actually a prequel in addition to being a sequel, so when Donna inevitably goes through some sort of emotional turmoil, there’s already proof that everything will turn out all right.

Another very exciting component about Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! is the excellent music of ABBA which will be making another appearance.  As the title would suggest, such hit songs such as “Dancing Queen,” “Fernando,” “Waterloo,” “Summer Night City” and of course, “Mamma Mia” (here we go again!)

In short, can July 20 come any faster? This sequel’s all-star cast, wonderful music and a fresh, new story with beloved characters makes it sure to be a movie that’s not to miss. Mamma Mia… here we go again!