BEASTIALITY: Bad?

Nicole Morgan, Sports Editor

WE HAVE SEEN MANY MOVIES SURROUNDING HUMANS AND THEIR LOVE FOR OTHER BEINGS. A BOY AND HIS DOG, THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, THE BEE MOVIE, THAT SCARY GIRL FROM FINDING NEMO AND HER DYING FISH. BUT, NEVER BEFORE HAS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN A HUMAN AND ANOTHER SPECIES BEEN SO SEXUALIZED AND WEIRD.

THE SHAPE OF WATER, THE RECIPIENT OF THIS YEAR’S BEST PICTURE AWARD AT THE ACADEMY AWARDS, PORTRAYS THE ROMANTIC AND SEXUAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ELIZA ESPOSITO (SALLY HAWKINS) AND AN AMPHIBIAN MAN WHO IS PART HUMAN AND PART FISH.

THE ENTIRE PLOT OF THE MOVIE ITSELF IS COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. THE COUPLE “FALLS IN LOVE” EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT THE SAME SPECIES. THEY THEN PROCEED TO SNEAK THE FISH MAN OUT OF HIS TUBE SO THAT THEY CAN BE TOGETHER.

ONCE THEY ARE TOGETHER, ELIZA FLOODS HER BATHROOM, AND ULTIMATELY HER ENTIRE APARTMENT COMPLEX, SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE. I REPEAT, SHE HAS SEX WITH A FISH-PERSON IN HER FLOODED BATHROOM. THAT IS TEXTBOOK BEASTIALITY.  

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GRASP THIS CONCEPT. I UNDERSTAND THAT THE MOVIE IS TRYING TO BREAK BARRIERS AND STATE THAT “LOVE TRANSCENDS APPEARANCE”, BUT LOVE SHOULD NOT TRANSCEND SPECIES.

FAMILIAL AND PLATONIC LOVE BETWEEN HUMANS AND OTHER SPECIES IS COMPLETELY ACCEPTABLE AND WIDELY SEEN THROUGHOUT SOCIETY. HOWEVER, THESE TYPES OF LOVE ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THAN ROMANTIC LOVE.

ROMANTIC LOVE, AND THE SEXUAL DESIRES THAT OFTEN ACCOMPANY IT, IS NOT SOMETHING ANYONE SHOULD FEEL FOR A FISH! I UNDERSTAND THAT ROMANTIC LOVE GOES BEYOND JUST APPEARANCES, BUT THE DUDE HAS GILLS AND A FISH FACE.

BUT, THIS DID NOT STOP THE CREATORS OF THIS FILM FROM TRYING TO MAKE THE FISH GUY MORE APPEALING. THEY ATTEMPTED MAKE THE HALF-FISH, HALF-MAN MORE PHYSICALLY AND SEXUALLY ATTRACTIVE BY GIVING HIM HUGE MUSCLES, ABS, AND WEIRDLY LARGE AND ATTRACTIVE LIPS. ESSENTIALLY, THEY SEXUALIZED A FISH. A FISH!

OVERALL, THIS FILM’S PLOT IS ENTIRELY RIDICULOUS. IT BASICALLY JUSTIFIES BEASTIALITY AND SEXUALIZES AN INNOCENT ANIMAL. FOR THESE REASONS AND MANY OTHERS, I SERIOUSLY QUESTION THE RATIONALITY OF THE ACADEMY MEMBERS WHO VOTED FOR THIS FILM.