TV Throwbacks

Catherine Bowman, Managing Editor

The latest thing in Hollywood right now, it appears, is redoing classics for the modern era. However old you were when these shows and movies first came out, whether you were a teenager in the 80’s watching “Heathers” for the first time or a kid in the early 2000’s watching “The Magic School Bus” after school, these reboots are sure to give you a blast from the past (perhaps literally, looking at you “Heathers”).

Heathers:

Originally, “Heathers” was a dark comedy that came out in 1989 featuring Winona Ryder (Stranger Things) as Veronica Sawyer and Christian Slater (Mr. Robot) as J.D, the dark and brooding, somewhat insane, antagonist. The movie also included the reason for the title of the movie, the three Heathers, Veronica’s “friends” and the queens of Westbrook High. The movie, famous for its surprisingly dark plot, is now being made into a television series on TV Land. The new show should be premiering in early 2018, starring Grace Victoria Cox as Veronica Sawyer, James Scully as J.D, and Jasmine Mathews, Brendan Scannell, and Melanie Field as the updated Heathers.

The Magic School Bus Rides Again:

The classic TV show “The Magic School Bus” got revamped on September 29 when Netflix came out with their original series, “The Magic School Bus Rides Again.” The reboot bears similarities to the original with the similar goal of educating kids about science through the world of a shape-shifting school bus and by bringing back Lily Tomlin as Ms. Frizzle. However, Tomlin will now be playing Professor Frizzle while her sister, Ms. Fiona Felicity Frizzle (Kate McKinnon) will now be the primary teacher. The reboot boasts updated graphics, but hopefully many elements of the original will still live on.

Raven’s Home:

Premiering on July 21, 2017, the reboot of the Disney Channel show “That’s So Raven” brings back a few of the same actors and characters from the original show. Raven Baxter (Raven-Symone) is now a divorced mother of two twins, Nia and Booker. The family lives with Raven’s divorced best friend Chelsea Daniels (Anneliese van der Pol) and her son Levi. Unlike the original show, “Raven’s Home” focuses on the family dynamic of Raven’s and Chelsea’s families, as well as a special focus on the psychic abilities of Raven’s son, Booker.

One Day at a Time:

Originally, this TV show featured a divorced mother of two living in Indianapolis and raising her children on her own, with the addition of the friendly super. The reboot, a Netflix Original Series, takes a similar plot line with a single, Cuban, military veteran mother raising her two kids in LA along with her quirky mother and the superintendent who acts almost as a third child to Penelope (Justina Machado). The show has a comedic hint even as Penelope struggles to juggle working as a nurse, leading her kids down the right path, dealing with war wounds (both physical and emotional), and the antics of her quirky and old-fashioned mother.