Talent Show Round-Up

Leanna Boyd

Senior Christine Jones serenades the Pres audience with a Christina Aguilera ballad.

Leanna Boyd

At Pres, there is plenty of “aptitude” or talent within the students that many did not know existed amongst their peers, waiting to be discovered. The annual talent show at  Pres allows students to unleash their talents in front of the whole school and this year it was held on a rainy February 17, less than a day before the much anticipated winter break. Students were itching to begin the break and the talent show really kicked it off with everybody filing into the gym during collaboration to watch their fellow classmates exhibit their talents.

Everybody pushed and shoved their way into the crowded gym, with students spilling from the bleachers onto the floor, and lining the sides of the gym in front of the faculty. When order had been restored, hostesses Sarah Khasrovi and Jennifer O’Brien introduced the show. The two  seniors commanded the audience between acts with their spicy dialogue and voices that changed with each act that performed. There was always a joke passed between them about the previous act or as the introduction for the next one. For example, after junior Megan Going sang “Think of Me” from The Phantom of the Opera, Khasrovi attempted to sing opera, which sounded horrible but make the audience laugh.

This year the talents consisted mostly a wide variety of singing and dancing, but there were also musical instruments and theater. The types of songs that singers sang (say that ten times fast) ranged from sophomore Haley Henson’s performance of “In His Eyes” by Jeykll and Hyde to junior Emily Griffith playing the piano while singing” Boats and Birds” by Gregory and the Hawk.

Dances also came in the variety pack as sophomore Shivali Tandon paid a tribute to Michael Jackson with a dance combining three of his hit songs. Sophomore Caroline Ledna and freshman Christina Tobias tapped away to Give up the Funk. Both Pres’ dance team and their captains performed as well. For a second year in a row sophomores Dani Gnibus and Kristy Charron and Chloe Townsan, a 8th grade girl from Britton Middle School performed a jazz number to Telephone by Lady Gaga and Beyonce.

Overall, the attitude towards the Talent Show showed positive results. When asked to name her favorite part of the show, senior Elizabeth Edwards replied that Mary Morgan’s Samson by Regina Spektor moved her because “most of the seniors didn’t know that she sang and it was so beautiful and her heart and soul was totally in it and it blew me away.” Pres’ talent show opens up hidden pools of talent many do not know exist in their fellow classmates and participants can grasp the attention of the school on them for a day.